Wednesday, May 16, 2012


                                                                                                      

Hi all!!  Here's the latest update on this years event. September 8th, 2012 will be the 2nd annual Comics 4 A Cure fundraiser at Famous Faces and Funnies Melbourne, Florida. ALL proceeds to benefit the LLS through the Light the Night Walk. Meaning EVERYTHING we raise goes directly to the LLS. I make no money doing this. The artists who are donating their time that day to draw sketches and pieces that day make nothing. EVERYTHING that we make off the raffle tickets for the donations, the money raised from sketches, and any any other raffles we have goes directly to benefit the LLS and all of the wonderful work they do. I am also adding a link, for connecting to the LLS website so that everyone can see exactly what their donations, money, and hard work are benefiting.

www.lls.org                                                   www.lls.org

                                 How it all got started                                          

For those of you who don't know, I was diagnosed with CML (Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia) last June. After being increasingly sick for months an oncologist finally found the problem. My Cancer is not caused by any outside force. nothing I could have changed in my life would have prevented it. It's formed after two of my chromosomes switched parts of each with the other. It's basically a genetic mutation of my chromosomes. So after getting this news, and that I had to be on medication (a form of oral chemotherapy) I decided to do whatever I could to try to eradicate a disease (cancer) that kills so many and affects so many lives. Especially since I have a little girl to think about. And it affects not only the lives of the patients, but their families lives as well. That's when I heard of the LLS> They are the world's largest volunteer organization, raising funds, awareness, and supporting research for Leukemia, Lymphoma and other bone marrow and blood cancers. Their website, support groups, web conference's w/Oncologists and researchers, co payment assistance, etc ..educated and provided so much support for me after I was diagnosed that I had no choice but to try to do something to help them. So Comics 4 A Cure was founded. I had already been in the comics community, and so many of us have been affected by Cancer at some point in our lives I saw the connection the two would have. Art is beneficial on so many levels, and what better way to help raise the spirits of those of us who are faced with this life changing news and complete lifestyle change than to incorporate it with our Cancer treatment. While I started this charity out of my own way to help give back, it has quickly become something more. It has given me a drive to want to change lives, bring awareness, support research and hopefully with that research a cure for ALL cancers. My goal is to help those who feel like there's nothing more than just cancer treatment. To encourage support networks, groups, and an open communication for patients and their families. The LLS was founded for these exact reasons. So it seemed the perfect coupling of 3 groups that are a giant part of my life. Comics, and the comic community, art, and the LLS. Since the birth of Comics 4 A Cure we have raised money, brought awareness, and provided information and support for the LLS and everything they do. I look to the future planning to go into remission, bring more awareness for the importance of bone marrow donorship, art therapy, funding for cancer research, better and more effective treatments for cancer, and support throughout the art/comic community for cancer awareness. To hopefully, one day, not lose amazing person/ creator/ writer/ artist/ parent/ child to this disease. With your help and support we will continue our goal of achieving just that. From the bottom of my heart I thank you all and can't wait til September 8th!                                                                                                                             

                                        This year's Event

So you thought last year was amazing? All of the donations we received by amazing artists, the amount of money we raised, and the selfless work of the artists on hand for sketches was absolutely mind blowing. But this year expect even more...more of EVERYTHING!  The artist list of who's planning on donating this year is not to believed. Seriously! Pinch me, because it is going to be awesome. I am so excited to not only have founded this organization, but at the benefits that are going to come from the money we raise. Famous Faces is of course on board again. More updates on what raffles we will have, artists involved, and day of festivities will be coming soon. I thank all of you for your hard work and support. 


                                  The Future of Comics 4 A Cure

My goal is to have our annual event, with the proceeds benefiting the LLS. And then to become a non for profit agency ourselves, procuring outside funding to buy art supplies and provide them to Cancer wards in various hospitals. It will benefit children's wards as well as for adults. Also, to work with various hospitals, starting in Brevard County and then expanding, by bringing in local artists to speak with the patients and engage them in open dialogue about art and the basics. As well as bringing in awareness of the theraputic benefits of art while in treatment. Art is life, it's about creation, and it's a proven fact that exercising your "left brain" enhances mood, spirit, and encourages a better perspective on things. I want to provide that perspective and therapy to the Cancer community. Along with bringing more awareness of the importance of bone marrow donorship to the general public. I have so much I want to do with this organization, and am grateful for all of your continued support in helping me achieve my dream. Thanks from the bottom of my heart! 

Next update in June!!!!..w/ some of the perspective donating artists !!



  



2 comments:

  1. I stumbled onto here through Scott McDaniel's facebook. I'm very excited about what you're doing. Cancer has robbed me of too many family members and friends that I miss dearly, and I would love to see a day when that doesn't happen anymore. I'm not a professional artist (at least not yet...still working on it), but I would love to help in any way I can. Where are you headquartered? Do you need volunteers for your September 8th event? I live in East Texas, so I'm not sure what I can do. But if there is something, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you stumbled by our site and I would love anything art wise you can donate..Even if you're not "established yet"...I would love and appreciate anything you can draw, paint, create for our event. I'm trying to eventually get non for profit status so that we can start making the art kits to hand out in hospitals, during chemo, or even home bound patients. I applaud you even wanting to do something to help..that's worth more to me than most things. Thank you so much and if you would like to donate anything..no matter your skill level it's greatly appreciated! We are still new at this and if I have my way there will be art therapy in every cancer ward and hospital in Brevard county..then Florida..then who knows how many. I found that art helps so much as a creative outlet when it feels like your body is against you and helps you process your feelings and emotions. I'd love to see some of your stuff and you can email me @samycat1976@gmail.com or comics4acure@gmail.com..or on the FB page www.facebook.com/comics4acure .lol many different ways to get a hold of us! My Co- President is Neil Jorge and he usually is the one in charge of procurring pieces for our event. Like I said I'm ecstatic that you want to be a part of this and I'm sorry about your loss. Cancer sucks..literally! And I hope that by doing what we're doing and bringing more awareness to the importance of art therapy in treatment we can help so many by giving them a little piece of harmony in an otherwise turmoiled experience. Thanks so much Branson and I look forward to hearing back from you soon!!

    ReplyDelete